Wednesday 24 June 2015

Matariki Rotations

On Thursday 18 June 2015 at Elm Park School.We all gathered in the courts to get in our groups to celebrate Matariki.

First I went room 10 with Mrs S. She gave us a sheet of paper to make stars. We had to colour in the stars. I chose pink, purple and yellow. I had fun making the stars. I thought my star was cool. I said to Mrs S "I'm finished", and I was the first one to finish. Then Mrs S said "I like your work Blake. Great job!"

Next Mrs S told me to go to room 30. When I got there Mrs Howard was sitting at the teachers desk and then she came over to the whiteboard and wrote our lesson on the board. We were singing a song.  It was counting in Maori from 1 to 10.  The song was getting a bit complicated for me so I just sat at the side until they were done.  Then some people came over and played a game next to me and then Mrs Howard told those people off for playing the game.  They were meant to be in the circle joining in with the song and she said "It's fine for Blake to be out there but you guys need to join in."  Then I buddied up with Nathan and we played Old Man's Dead.  Mrs Howard said "You guys have to go to Room 17."

At Room 17 I waited outside the door but everybody pushed past me.  Mrs Rist growled them.  We went inside.  I went inside first because I was lined up first.  We made porotiti.  Porotiti is a piece of circle cardboard that the teacher cut out.  We get the scissors and poke two holes.  Then we put string through the holes.  You tie the string through the holes and so that there would be a loop at one end and at the other end there will be a tie. Then we coloured them in with vivid. I used red and black and then at the top I wrote my name. Then I turned and wound up the string and then pulled it out and in out and in out and in so it spins. If you stop pulling, the circle will stop spinning. Then you have to wind it up again.

After that I went back to class. We all sat on the mat and shared what we had done to celebrate Matariki.

Finally the bell went for recess and we all ran outside to eat and then play.

Overall I thought it was fun. My favourite part was making the stars in room 10 with Mrs S. I like stars and I like art, I am very creative. I'm looking forward to the next Matariki celebration so that I can do some of the different activities next time.







2 comments:

Belinda Johnston said...

Hi Blake

Wow - this recount is really well written! I'm really impressed with the detailed planning you showed me earlier today and you have included all of your ideas into your writing. Everything is sequenced really well. Great job and keep it up! Ms J

Sharon Harrison said...

I enjoyed reading this recount last night at your student led conference Blake, it is very well though out and shows you have planned what you wanted to say about the day. You are very creative, I am looking forward to seeing your creations at the Art Expo. Very proud of how well you are working with Mrs Sproull, keep that lovely smile on your face, its pleasing to see you working so well x